RingCentral earned the Strategy Innovation Award at the San Francisco Chief Strategy Officer Summit recently for having the most Disruptive Strategy. RingCentral was recognized for pioneering the strategic initiative “Mobile First”.
The Strategy Innovation Awards recognizes companies for their success in pioneering strategy initiatives that have had a positive impact within the strategy community.
As part of the judging process, RingCentral submitted a list of core motivators that inspire the company strategy:
- RingCentral’s leadership knew the iPhone device would radically change how business users behave, communicate, and collaborate.
- RingCentral believed the smartphone would become the center of the phone system—not just a device the system supported.
- In 2008, RingCentral decided to adopt a “Mobile First” strategy for a new generation of Business Cloud Phone Systems.
- The “Mobile First” approach was radical and challenged, but RingCentral continued in that strategic direction, focusing on meeting the needs of the future mobile and distributed workforce.
- RingCentral’s strategy was radical in early 2008, is competitively still radical today, and the reason for the rapid pace of innovation that RingCentral continues to deliver to its customers.
“We’re happy to be recognized for predicting and taking advantage of the changing mobile environment and implementing a radical “Mobile First” strategy back in 2008. We were the only company in the business communications market to start with a “Mobile First” approach and now we are leading the way,” said Praful Shah, Senior Vice President of Strategy at RingCentral.
RingCentral was one of a handful of companies awarded for their achievements along with Zipcar, Bishop-Lyons Entertainment, iPipeline, and Hudson Bay Company.
“This award is particularly meaningful because we were recognized by professionals who work in business strategy,” said Shah. “The panel recognized the core value of RingCentral—that businesses need a solution for today’s mobile and distributed workforce that will eliminate the limits of legacy phone systems and allow businesses to scale quickly, integrate with other cloud solutions, remain cost-effective and run their businesses more efficiently.”
We are very proud of our accomplishment and will continue to be leaders in strategy and innovation.
Originally published Jun 03, 2014, updated May 23, 2021