- Lunar New Year 2023 begins on Sunday January 22, with festivities culminating on February 5.
- RingCentral welcomes the Lunar New Year globally with in-person, virtual, and hybrid events.
Happy Lunar New Year!
Lunar New Year 2023 is Sunday, January 22, marked by the first new moon of the year (January 21). The Lunar New Year, celebrated for 16 days, culminates on the full moon on February 5. The Lunar New Year, also known as the Chinese New Year, is celebrated by many Asian cultures around the globe. According to the Chinese Zodiac, 2023 is the year of the Water Rabbit, symbolizing longevity, peace, and prosperity and is predicted to be the year of hope.
A Time for Festivities
The Lunar New Year is a momentous occasion celebrated with decorations, worship, fireworks, and traditional lion dances. While every culture celebrates the Lunar New Year differently, there are a few commonalities that unite the festivities: being together with family, exchanging gifts, and sharing delicious meals.
“We are thrilled to take part in the Lunar New Year celebrations and honor our diverse RingCentral communities around the globe.”
Celebrations in China
RingCentral China took part in the festivities by hosting a Virtual DJ House Party where participants requested and dedicated songs and blessings to fellow employees. Since the surge of COVID-19 cases in China has created concerns this festive season, our China team has transformed the annual Lunar New Year celebration into a meaningful and secure online event. Although the party is virtual, there is nothing more freeing than busting a dance move in the comfort of your own home. Additionally, each employee will receive care packages filled with tasty goodies and wellness supplies for those recovering from the COVID-19 virus.
Celebrations in the United States
In the United States, RingCentral ushered in the Lunar New Year with an all day celebration on Thursday, January 19, 2023. The festivities took place both onsite and virtually.
Celebration details include:
- Our headquarters in Belmont hosted an onsite, interactive lion dance, which streamed live to other RingCentral offices and virtual employees.
- ‘Lucky Lunches’ took place at our Belmont, Charlotte, and Denver offices and included fortune cookies from the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory, handmade in San Francisco’s Chinatown.
- We distributed red envelopes containing chocolate coins to our employees. A few envelopes also contained golden rabbits – the lucky recipients of the golden rabbits won a gift!
- A Wishing Wall – each office dedicated an area for employees to write down a new year wish and display it on the wall.
Additionally, RingCentral included virtual components to accompany our in-person celebrations. We hosted conversations about the Lunar New Year and provided suggestions on how to prepare and celebrate with family and friends.
Virtual celebration activities:
- Cleaning your desk or home (the new year is a great time to declutter!)
- Making paper lanterns with your kids
- Learning how to say “Happy Lunar New Year” in another language
- Discussions around the meaning of wearing the lucky color red
- Listening to a special Lunar New Year playlist
Celebrations in Manila
RingCentral’s Chinese New Year celebrations are going to be big in Manila. It starts with an epic new lobby design.
As you’ll notice, there is a chandelier of hanging red lanterns and 2023 predictions for each of the Chinese Zodiac signs.
In addition to the festive decorations, RingCentral Manila celebrated the Chinese New Year for an entire week with events, including:
- Lunar Launch Wednesday: Strike a pose and take a selfie in front of the Lunar New Year themed office decor. (Onsite, January 18)
- Foodie Thursday: Enjoy some free Lunar New Year snacks! (Onsite, January 19)
- Happy Hour Friday: The Season 4 launch of your favorite after-shift tambayan! Join us LIVE to win prizes! (Hybrid event, January 20)
- Make Your Luck: Join ‘Lucky Bunny’ (Manila’s LNY theme this year) for a series of virtual games this week and win prizes! (January 18-20)
- Gratitude Fair Donation Drive: Have items you’re ready to donate? Drop them off at the office and RingCentral will donate them to a local organization (January 18-20)
New Year, New Opportunities
The start of the new year is the perfect time to try something new and join the festivities. Ever participated in an interactive lion dance or made a paper lantern? Ever experienced a virtual dance party? OMG, they’re the perfect place to bust out your best dance moves. However you celebrate, we hope you have a fun, fulfilling, and prosperous new year!
Originally published Jan 20, 2023