Consider a paramedic updating nurses in the hospital on a patient’s condition or a retail worker requesting more stock from the warehouse. These frontline workers are usually burdened with carrying multiple devices – bulky radios, rugged traditional DECT devices, scanners, payment readers, and more on the job. But what if there was a way to consolidate all these devices into one to save significant hardware and software costs as well as enable seamless frontline communications?
There are approximately 2.7 billion frontline workers globally, which is more than twice the number of desk-based workers. Despite being the majority of the global workforce, frontline workers aren’t being given the tools they need to perform their jobs effectively, leading to siloed work, and departmental and geographical gaps. They have been largely left behind in the video and AI revolution of post-pandemic work tools and have minimal connectivity back to office workers.
That’s why we built the RingCentral for frontline workers solution, a next-gen app that includes RingCentral Push to Talk (PTT) coupled with new age tools like intelligent video, file sharing and more – all in one app.
- What is RingCentral for frontline workers?
- Why do essential workers need PTT?
- Vertical use cases
- Feature highlights
What is RingCentral for Frontline Workers?
RingCentral’s powerful frontline workforce solution provides instant, clear and secure voice communications for frontline teams at the push of a button, turning employee- or company-owned devices into smart walkie-talkies. Frontline workers can now communicate and connect seamlessly and securely from anywhere with WiFi or mobile internet connectivity with a familiar walkie-talkie experience without needing to carry bulky devices.
What’s even better is that it integrates with real-time video collaboration in one app, so you can transform your smartphone into a walkie-talkie that includes new age features like mobile camera sharing, AI powered noise reduction, image sharing capabilities and more to maximise productivity.
Why do essential workers need next-gen tools?
Our new frontline worker offering empowers seamless communication across every part of a user’s business because it allows users to:
- Relieve app fatigue. Use our next-gen app on personal, work, or already procured multi-purpose rugged devices, eliminating the need to carry multiple devices
- Listen to live broadcasts heads up and hands free. Enjoy features like auto-play even on locked devices to listen to critical voice messages while continuing with hands-on work.
- Drive ROI through fewer devices and apps. Deliver cost optimisation by introducing BYOD programs and consolidating costs for PTT transmits, calling, real-time video camera sharing, group messaging into one platform.
- Integrates with real-time video in one app for free. Elevate to AI-powered video and utilise “see what I see” technology for additional context; ask for second opinions; or visually share the current status. Use AI-powered live transcriptions if the setting is too loud for audio, or AI noise reduction for clearer voice communications.
- Worldwide coverage. Connect users wherever they are in the world, even in remote locations where a mobile phone signal may be limited. Users can use PTT anywhere with WiFi and mobile networks.
- Device interoperability. RingCentral PTT is compatible with iOS, Android, and multi-modal devices with no special installation needed. RingCentral PTT will also be supported on select ruggedised devices (i.e. two way radios) in the near future.
- Reliable and persistent voice. Say goodbye to static, crosstalk and outside radio interferences. Enjoy the industry’s highest standards of proven reliability, delivered for 5+ years.
- Easy administration. Add or remove users, create or manage channels on all devices instantly to ensure secure access.
- One solution for frontlines and HQ. Connect desk-less to desk-based workers in real time. With our next-gen communication solution for frontline workers, you bridge departmental gaps and empower frontlines by putting powerful, mobile-centric cloud tools in their pockets.
How 3 essential industries can use RingCentral for frontline workers
Let’s look more closely at the benefits of RingCentral for frontline workers across some of the most relevant fields: healthcare, retail, and manufacturing.
- Patient transfer coordination: Reduce delays by providing instant patient transfer status.
- Patient diagnosis: Get fast blood test confirmation from a doctor to ensure quick patient diagnosis.
- Discharge planning: Communicate with the charge nurse or nurse co-ordinator to ensure on-time patient discharges.
- Emergency notifications: Contact the hospital ahead of time for emergency care preparation prior to the patient’s arrival.
- Field care coordination: Provide real-time care plan updates to the home health care team.
- Respond to customers quickly: Ask a stock manager on product availability to ensure rapid responses to customers.
- Inventory management: Communicate stock levels easily for efficient reordering and stocking of products.
- Order fulfillment: Connect with warehouse staff in real-time on order status and progress.
- Broadcast storewide news: Send daily announcements, store specials or urgent information to all store employees.
- Loss prevention: Quickly report suspicious activity and coordinate efforts to prevent theft.
- Task assignments and shift scheduling: Assign tasks to floor personnel or send real-time clock in and out updates.
- Monitoring and tracking: Get real-time updates on production progress without walking across the warehouse.
- Optimise dispatch operations: Communicate with field workers directly from the dispatch interface.
- Safety and emergency response: Broadcast for help in case of an emergency, such as machinery issues, a fire or other safety hazard.
- Prevent distractions: Leave a channel to silence voice messages for enhanced public safety.
RingCentral for Frontline workers: 5 Key features
Stay heads up and hands free with Auto-play
Enable auto-play on locked or unlocked devices to listen in for critical information while on shift. Even if you are operating heavy machinery or on the go as a medical professional where time is of the essence. Listen to voice messages that play automatically the moment they are received to enhance public safety.
Integrated with multi-modal devices with no special installation needed
Capitalise on previous hardware investments to drive ROI and productivity with fewer devices and apps. Train your employees fast with what they have already been using.
Listen in multiple channels
Pick a team-specific channel and toggle easily between channels in one click when you are on shift. Leave the channel when your shift is done so you can truly disconnect. Instant, hands free communication with large teams has never been easier.
Intelligent video, transcriptions and translations
Frontline workers can talk securely with anyone using real-time voice or, if needed, real-time video, introducing AI-powered “see what I see” technology to your field teams. Ask for second opinions or visually share their current surroundings. Workers can also leverage AI-powered live transcriptions, or if their location is too loud, then AI noise reduction can make it easier to hear clearer audio.
File sharing, team messaging and more
Connect your frontline and back office workers. RingCentral for frontline workers solution allows frontline workers and back office workers to easily chat via team messaging and share files to power stronger and more effective collaboration.
When is RingCentral for frontline workers available?
RingCentral for frontline workers offering will be available globally as a public beta to customers by the end of March. We are offering it free to try during our beta period for a limited time.
This launch is a culmination of the tireless contributions of so many of our colleagues from Engineering, Product Management, UX, Marketing, Sales, and Support, just to name a few. A big thank you to everyone who worked together to make this possible.
We’re thrilled to offer a new solution for your frontline teams to work as efficiently in the field as your office workers.
Originally published Mar 28, 2023, updated Apr 17, 2023