Workforce Management (WFM)
Cultivate an efficient workplace with industry-leading WFM software
Forecast call volume and align resources properly
Prevent over- and understaffing agents as call volume fluctuates, using a statistical model to optimize schedules. The RingCentral workforce management system improves customer satisfaction, reduces employee discord, and minimizes labor costs.
Optimize workforce schedules
Improve customer experience
Solution to lower operational costs
What is workforce management?
Workforce management (WFM) is a set of processes that maximizes efficiency in the workplace. This contact center solution encompasses a wide range of activities — including a number of core HR processes — and therefore greatly impacts how a business operates.
Designed to support every resources management director, performance manager, or regular employee, it covers functions and managerial disciplines necessary to attain workforce competency, including but not limited to:
- Human resource management - entails managing the entire workforce of a company
- Field service management - entails managing mobile workforce and other field resources
- Labor management - entails the rules, policies, procedures, labor standards, and labor laws that govern the workforce
- Learning management - entails documentation, reporting, and delivery of training courses and programs
- Workforce analytics - entails statistical models concerning employee-related data
- Leave management - entails managing leave policies while ensuring staff sufficiency
- Compensation management - entails giving monetary and non-monetary rewards to employees
- Inventory management - entails managing non-capitalized assets and stock items
- Absence management - entails controlling excessive or unscheduled absenteeism
- Quality management - entails managing activities to maintain consistency of product or service (in a call center setting, call recording, along with quality management tools, empowers every performance manager to monitor, analyze, and improve agent performance)
Business organizations used WFM systems in the 1980s as a means to optimize internal business processes. That time and until the 1990s, the focus was mostly on supply chain and not much on employee management or labor management. Today, companies from across different industries recognize the benefits of workforce management solutions.
Why is workforce management important?
Efficiency is crucial to running a business, and human capital is a key driver of efficiency. In order to maximize business performance, it is imperative that organizations manage their workforce effectively. The task poses a challenge especially for a call center, as it usually employs a large number of workers.
What is workforce management in a call center?
Workforce management brings order and efficiency in the way call centers schedule agents. The goal is to assign the right employees at the right time to improve contact center efficiency, maximize sales, and keep your agents engaged as you create superb customer experiences. Otherwise, expect a high employee turnover.
To prevent this, proper resource planning with a focus on human capital is paramount. Let this WFM process be your guide to workforce management (and workforce optimization) in a call center.
- Forecasting - Predict future workload and call drivers by identifying trends and patterns. A WFM software solution should provide you with the historical data and insight you need to come up with accurate forecasts. You’ll find that a lack of labor demand forecasting results in reduced productivity and profitability.
- Scheduling - Let managers take on the role of a workforce scheduler, defining the shifts and hours that would cover customer communication patterns across all platforms based on forecasts. When done well, the critical business process of employee scheduling allows for the most efficient call center schedules, ensuring improved client service, enhanced employee experience, and reduced labor cost.
- Assigning agents - Meet operational needs by assigning agents to appropriate shifts. In doing so, a business manager typically considers factors like agent performance, call handling ability, preference, and tenure. Many contact centers observe policies like shift swapping, which affords agents the flexibility of trading shifts when the need arises.
- Intraday management - Manage day-to-day operations efficiently with workforce solutions. WFM doesn’t end when you’re done creating forecasts and schedules or assigning agents. Keep in mind that in a contact center, anything can happen at any moment. When you have what you need to manage your workforce, you can address issues like absenteeism or unexpected spikes in call volumes caused by:
- Technical outages or difficulties
- Increased customer complaints
- Product recalls
- Unpublicized marketing campaigns
- Negative media exposure
Workforce management tools ease call center management. Build your workforce plans around a good workforce software solution.
What is workforce management software?
Workforce management software is a set of tools and programs that automates the execution of your WFM plan. It could be a desktop or mobile app and typically covers employee scheduling, forecasting, time and attendance tracking, intraday management, employee engagement, and benefits administration.
With less employee and manager time spent on manual processes, you can better position your organization to achieve optimum operational efficiency. It all starts with finding the right WFM software for your business.
What is the best workforce management software?
The best workforce management systems are those that enable organizations to achieve and maintain operational efficiency with the perfect balance between workload forecasted and number of agents scheduled — while reducing operational costs, improving customer experiences, and maintaining employee engagement.
Look into every relevant buyers guide online for different workforce management platforms and similar products to compare. Read success stories. See where others found issues. Check out every related white paper or blog post from reliable sources.
Your search would probably lead you to the RingCentral Contact Center, which includes powerful workforce management solutions. Our system leverages advanced technologies like artificial intelligence, machine learning, and computer telephony integration to streamline the WFM process and ensure you get the most out of every human resource (HR) in your roster.
A reputable HR business partner championing every HR team
HR manages the most important asset of the company — its people. A competent HR team knows that creating favorable customer experiences start with proper human capital management (HCM), and not any call center software or HR software. As such, the importance of building an effective resources plan can never be overstated.
RingCentral understands that. This is why the company offers a cloud-based automation software solution designed for businesses of all types and sizes, providing just about every workforce management tool essential for building and nurturing a progress-minded workforce.
You don’t have to purchase separate employee scheduling software, performance management software, payroll software, or applicant tracking software. RingCentral delivers all the WFM tools your business needs.
Sign up for a free personal demo
A solution specialist will contact you for a personalized, informative demo on the key features and benefits of RingCentral Contact Center.