Virtual meeting: Best practices for successful online meeting
A brief history of the virtual meeting
How do online meetings work anyway?
Video call applications use something called Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). VoIP takes audio signals and transforms them into digital data to allow people to communicate online and without the need for a phone connection. Video calling also requires a camera to transmit video so you can communicate via both audio and video means.
There are lots of free virtual meeting app options that are aimed at consumers. These consumer VoIP platforms are fairly simple with fewer features and mainly used for social networking purposes. Business VoIP apps, on the other hand, are more robust. They offer more conference calling features, third party integrations, and in-depth analytics that offer site feedback.
What are the business benefits of having virtual meetings?
There are many video call platforms available today for businesses with a variety of calling features. The ability to conduct online meetings has many business benefits.
To get the full suite of features, you’ll often have to pay a monthly or annual fee. But in most cases, the benefits of going with a paid virtual meeting software far outweigh the costs.
What are the advantages of virtual meetings?
- More flexibility and greater employee satisfaction
- More closed won deals
- Saves you time and money
Virtual meetings offer more flexibility and improve employee satisfaction
Virtual meetings help you close more deals
Virtual meetings save you time and money
Types of meetings that teams and companies can conduct online
There are a variety of ways teams can take advantage of online video conferencing software. Here are four big ones:
One-on-one video chats
Video chats get you valuable “face-time” without having to be in the same physical location. This is helpful whether you’re a manager doing weekly one-on-ones with your reports if you just need to touch base with a colleague.
Live training and webinars
Virtual meeting software for businesses can be a game-changer. Especially when it comes to hosting a larger virtual event like a training session, public speaking event, or webinar. For example, RingCentral Video™ lets you invite up to 10, 000 participants to an interactive virtual event. What's more, they offer an interactive experience and participants can engage with the speaker(s) with customizable polls and Q&A.
Meeting with your colleagues, project teams, clients, or partners in a virtual room has its benefits. Video call platforms for businesses often have collaborative tools like screen-sharing and file-sharing. This way, everyone can share and collaborate on things like important documents, websites, or presentations in real-time.
Some video conferencing solutions offer an even more dynamic experience, letting you split people into breakout sessions.
Prospect and customer calls
In place of in-person meetings, online conferencing enables sales to conduct face-to-face meetings. A video meeting allows more eye-contact which can make sales calls more effective overall.
The ability to have online demos, and real-time reviews of proposals and agreements, can also greatly reduce cost per lead.
How to have successful virtual meetings
Not all virtual meetings are created equal. The depth and breadth of features vary from platform to platform. Follow these best practices to make sure you always host effective virtual meetings.
Checklist of meeting software essentials
Avoid finding yourself in a situation where you’re limited by the availability of features (or lack thereof) in the meeting software you choose. When selecting your virtual meeting software, ensure it has the following.
- High definition (HD) audio and video quality to make sure people are seen and voices are heard clearly
- Chat box so you can enrich group conversations or have private discussions
- Call encryption for added safety and security
- Customization for things like registration landing pages and emails
- Collaborative meeting tools like polls and Q&A
- Integrations with other tools in your tech stack like Google Drive, Trello, and Mailchimp
- Host controls like muting/unmuting participants, starting/stopping video, and locking a meeting
- Participant controls like hand-raising
- The option to record and save your meetings and chats
- Mobile app for smartphones and tablets so you can host and access a virtual meeting anytime, anywhere
- Solid customer support to offer help with any technical issues or questions that arise.
Virtual meeting etiquette
To make sure you come across as polished and professional during an online meeting, follow these best practices:
- Make eye contact with meeting participants by looking at your camera and not the screen
- If there is background noise where you are, make sure to mute your microphone when you’re not speaking
- For meetings with multiple people, use the hand-raising feature to avoid speaking over each other
- Avoid being backlit to help people see you clearly
- Avoid eating or drinking during the meeting
- Don’t talk over others or shout
More tips on how to improve your virtual meeting experience
Meeting virtually is obviously different than meeting in-person for a variety of reasons. Because of these differences, also consider the following dos and don’ts for successful virtual meetings each and every time.
Virtual meeting dos for your remote team
Virtual meeting don'ts for your remote team
So, are you ready to explore a new virtual meeting technology?
To take the next step in making every remote meeting easier and more reliable than ever, check out RingCentral Video. It goes beyond basic video calling and integrates messaging, video, and phone into one easy-to-use platform. Not only is it secure and ideal for teams of any size, it also has 99.99% uptime. This means you’ll consistently host successful virtual meetings that won’t let you down in the moments that matter most.