Get a 1800 number for your business
Regardless of the market or industry, providing customers with an easy and affordable (preferably free) way to get in touch is crucial.
For businesses just starting out, local phone numbers might suffice. As your business grows and your customer base expands, your local number might struggle to manage all your incoming calls.
A toll-free number (1-800 number) allows new and existing customers to reach out to your business directly, whether they simply have an inquiry or require customer support.
Here, we’ll tell you how to get a 1-800 number for your business and why you should.
What is a toll-free number?
Toll-free numbers are business phone numbers that don’t charge the person dialing. For the calling party, there is no charge. Instead, the cost of the call is covered by the company receiving the call.
They feature toll-free prefixes that distinguish them from other landline telephone numbers. Common toll-free codes are 800, 888, 877, 866, 855, 844, and 833. The first toll-free prefix was 800, which is why toll-free phone numbers are often called “800 numbers” or “1800 numbers”.
Toll-free service providers allow small businesses to cover a wider market as they’re not tied to a specific area like a local number.
How do they work?
When a caller dials a toll-free phone number, the call routing goes through a local landline telephone company or VoIP service provider.
The call is routed to a long-distance telephone company responsible for the toll-free number, which then routes the call to its destination (the end-user). This all takes place almost instantaneously.
Toll-free numbers are often included in business VoIP phone systems along with a range of other business call management features for inbound calls (when you receive calls) and outbound calls (when you make calls).
Benefits of toll-free phone numbers
Toll-free phone numbers allow and encourage your leads and customers to contact your business directly.
Whether you’re a large enterprise or a small business, there are many benefits of having a toll-free number, including:
- Builds credibility - A toll-free number is a great way to add legitimacy by showing customers you’re an established business—which is particularly important for small companies just starting out. Toll-free numbers sound more professional, too!
- Improve customer service - Many customers prefer to contact a business by phone to speak to a human agent. Providing them with the option to make toll-free calls can improve customer service and help you to build long-lasting customer relationships. Remember that satisfied customers are happy customers.
- No geographic restrictions - 800 number services aren’t restricted geographically, meaning business owners can send and receive calls from all over the world and customers can enjoy toll-free international calling.
- Added flexibility - With a business phone system, you can transfer calls from a toll-free number elsewhere like to a mobile app on a cell phone or IP phone.
- Cost-effective - Toll-free numbers are more affordable than ever before. Service providers offer inexpensive pricing plans or as part of a pay-as-you-go cloud phone system.
Get a toll-free phone number with RingCentral MVP
RingCentral MVP is a cloud-based, fully-fledged business phone system that offers a range of toll-free numbers so customers can contact you without spending a penny.
What does it mean to have a cloud-based phone system instead of an on-premise solution? Here’s a quick list of the advantages of having a business VoIP phone system hosted in the cloud:
- Flexibility - Cloud phone systems allow people to work from anywhere as long as there’s an internet connection—perfect for companies with remote teams. It's also easier to add or remove users depending on your needs.
- Cost savings - Service provider handles the installation, repairs, maintenance, and updates. There's minimal hardware requirements and you only pay for what you use.
- Reliability - If you choose a hosted solution, you can rest assured there's minimal downtime because the phone systems are hosted in multiple locations.
RingCentral allows you to choose a recognizable number prefix (800, for example) or create a customized vanity number that reflects your business name.
RingCentral toll-free numbers are affordable and come with high-volume minute bundles so you can better connect with your customers. Additional minutes can be added automatically to prevent service interruptions.
With a RingCentral toll-free number, calls can be routed to any local number of your choice—no installation or new equipment necessary! What’s more, you can route calls from your toll-free number to any designated softphone desktop app, IP phone, or mobile phone.
Along with a toll-free phone service, RingCentral MVP offers businesses a range of call management features to enhance operations and provide exceptional customer service.
These include (among many):
- Auto-attendant - Ensure calls transfer to the right person with a simple menu system.
- Caller ID (for both inbound calls and outbound calls) - Know exactly who’s calling to better tailor your service.
- Call forwarding - Extend your business hours to be available to your customers 24/7, so unanswered calls forward to any device, department, or office location.
- Call recording - Automatically record any outgoing or incoming call to playback or download.
- Simultaneous call handling - Forward callers to available agents when the line they’re calling is busy.
- Voicemail transcription - Automatically transcribe voicemail messages and send them via email.
Along with advanced call management features, RingCentral MVP provides businesses with:
- Administration features like a multi-level virtual receptionist, custom greetings, a powerful cloud PBX that integrates with all of your business apps, and much more.
- International flexibility from a cloud phone system that facilitates international calling and numbers (yes, we’re talking flexibility again).
- Robust communications tools including video conferencing, audio conferencing, team messaging, business SMS (send and receive text messages), and more.
- Seven layers of security to keep your data safe and provide business continuity.
- In-depth analytics with customizable dashboards and in-depth reporting.
Ready to enhance your business communications with RingCentral MVP?
RingCentral MVP is a powerful, flexible, and mobile cloud-based virtual phone system.
Along with toll-free phone numbers, you can access a range of calling features to take your customer service to the next level.
That’s not all—RingCentral MVP empowers your team and improves communication with enhanced mobility. They can log on to the RingCentral app from a desktop computer in the office or from an iOS or Android device on the go. With RingCentral, you can stay connected anytime, anywhere.
Can I make international phone calls using a toll-free number?
Are toll-free numbers expensive?
Can I transfer existing toll-free numbers?
Can I get a vanity phone number spelling a business name in order to sell it?
*Void where prohibited or restricted. Offer valid until December 31, 2021. Discounts based upon list price published prior to Offer start date. Free Month(s) Conditions subject to the quantity of years purchased under qualifying RingCentral MVP plans purchased, and between 2 and 399 digital lines required. Additional Terms and Conditions apply.