RingCentral Announces 35% Revenue Growth for First Quarter 2015
BELMONT, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- RingCentral, Inc. (NYSE: RNG), a leading provider of cloud business communications solutions, today announced financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2015.
First Quarter Highlights:
- Revenue increased 35% year-over-year to $65.3 million; subscription revenue increased 37% year-over-year to $60.0 million.
- Total annualized exit monthly recurring subscriptions grew 35% year-over-year to $253.7 million.
- RingCentral Office® annualized exit monthly recurring subscriptions grew 47% year-over-year to $185.4 million.
- Net monthly subscription dollar retention: overall over 99% and RingCentral Office over 100%.
- Non-GAAP subscriptions gross margins improved 4.8 points to 74.2% in Q1 2015 from 69.4% in the same period a year ago.
“The first quarter marked a strong start to the year for RingCentral as we made progress across a number of our strategic initiatives,” said Vlad Shmunis, RingCentral’s Chairman and CEO. “We gained additional traction in the enterprise market, highlighted by a 1,000 user win and multiple hundred plus user wins. We also extended our track record of innovation and expanded our differentiation in the market with several key product enhancements, as well as the launch of the RingCentral Connect Platform™ and the announcement of RingCentral Contact Center. In addition, we delivered significant gross and operating margin leverage as we continue the march toward profitability.”
The company also announced today that David Berman, President, has resigned and will be leaving the company as of May 15, 2015. “I’d like to thank Dave for his contributions to the Company over the past two years and wish him well in his future endeavors. As we look ahead, I’m confident that the company will continue to execute at a high level as we have strong leaders in place in sales, marketing, and support, each of whom will report directly to me going forward,” said Shmunis.
Financial Results of the First Quarter 2015
- Revenue: Total revenue was $65.3 million for the first quarter of 2015, up 35% from the first quarter of 2014.
- Net Income (Loss): GAAP net income (loss) per diluted share was ($0.15) for the first quarter of 2015 compared with ($0.20) for the first quarter of 2014. Non-GAAP net income (loss) per diluted share was ($0.09) for the first quarter of 2015, compared with ($0.15) per diluted share for the first quarter of 2014.
- Balance Sheet: Total cash and short-term investments at the end of the first quarter of 2015 was $135.7 million, compared with $141.7 million at the end of the fourth quarter of 2014.
First Quarter 2015 and Recent Business Highlights:
- Announced that BT Cloud Phone, in association with RingCentral, is now widely available to BT Business customers in the UK.
- TELUS announced the commercial launch of TELUS Business Connect™, powered by RingCentral, providing a single cloud-based communications solution for businesses in the Canadian market.
- Unveiled the RingCentral Connect Platform™, a set of tools and services to build, deploy, and manage custom integrations using RingCentral APIs.
- Introduced RingCentral Contact Center, providing unmatched value and a robust customer experience for integrated business communications.
- Launched the latest update to RingCentral Office® providing an enhanced feature set, enterprise grade security, and more control for IT administrators.
- Signed a new distribution partnership with Jenne, Inc., a leading value-added distributor of technology products and services.
- Welcomed Al Campa to RingCentral as the Chief Marketing Officer of the company.
- Added Michelle McKenna-Doyle, the SVP and Chief Information Officer of the NFL, and Mike Kourey, board member of Aruba Networks and various private growth companies, to the Board of Directors.
Conference Call Details:
- What:RingCentral financial results for the first quarter of 2015 and outlook for the second quarter and full year of 2015.
- When:Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 2PM PT (5PM ET).
- Dial in: To access the call in the United States, please dial (877) 705-6003, and for international callers dial (201) 493-6725. Callers may provide confirmation number 13605511 to access the call more quickly, and are encouraged to dial into the call 10 to 15 minutes prior to the start to prevent any delay in joining.
- Webcast:http://ir.ringcentral.com/ (live and replay).
- Replay: A replay of the call will be available via telephone for seven days, beginning two hours after the call. To listen to the telephone replay in the U.S., please dial (877) 870-5176 from the United States or (858) 384-5517 internationally with recording access code 13605511.
RingCentral, Inc. (NYSE: RNG) is a leading provider of cloud-based business communications solutions. Easier to manage and more flexible than on-premise communications phone systems, RingCentral’s cloud solution meets the needs of modern distributed and mobile workforces, while eliminating the expense and complications of on-premise traditional hardware-based systems and software. RingCentral is headquartered in Belmont, California.
This press release contains “forward-looking statements”, including statements regarding our strategy to acquire enterprise customers and our anticipated future financial results. Forward-looking statements are subject to known and unknown risks and uncertainties and are based on assumptions that may prove to be incorrect, which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expected or implied by the forward-looking statements. Among the important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in any forward-looking statements are: our ability to grow at our expected rate of growth; our ability to add and retain larger customers and enter new geographies and markets; our ability to continue to release, and gain customer acceptance of, new and improved versions of our services; our ability to compete successfully against existing and new competitors; our ability to enter into and maintain relationships with carriers and other resellers; our ability to manage our expenses and growth; and general market, political, economic, and business conditions; as well as those risks and uncertainties included under the captions “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations,” in our Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2014, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission; and in other filings we make with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time.
All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to RingCentral as of the date hereof, and we undertake no obligation to update these forward-looking statements, to review or confirm analysts’ expectations, or to provide interim reports or updates on the progress of the current financial quarter.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Our reported results include certain Non-GAAP financial measures, including Non-GAAP operating income (loss) and Non-GAAP net income (loss) per share. We define Non-GAAP operating income (loss) as operating income (loss) excluding share-based compensation, legal settlements and other one-time items. We define Non-GAAP net income (loss) per share as net income (loss) per share assuming all preferred stock converted into common stock at the later of the start of the period or the date of issuance.
We have included Non-GAAP operating income (loss) and Non-GAAP net income (loss) per share in this press release because they are key measures used by us to understand and evaluate our core operating performance and trends, to prepare and approve our annual budget, and to develop short and long-term operational plans. In particular, the exclusion of certain expenses in calculating Non-GAAP operating income (loss) and Non-GAAP net income (loss) per share can provide a useful measure for period-to-period comparisons of our core business.
Although Non-GAAP operating income (loss) and Non-GAAP net income (loss) per share are frequently used by investors in their evaluations of companies, these non-GAAP financial measures have limitations as analytical tools and should not be considered in isolation or as a substitute for financial information presented in accordance with GAAP. Because of these limitations, these non-GAAP financial measures should be considered alongside other financial performance measures.
We have not reconciled Non-GAAP operating income (loss) to operating income (loss) guidance or Non-GAAP net income (loss) per share to net income (loss) per share guidance because we do not provide guidance for share-based compensation expense, provision for income taxes, interest income, interest expense, and other income and expenses, which are reconciling items between Non-GAAP operating income (loss) to operating income (loss) guidance or Non-GAAP net income (loss) per share to net income (loss) per share. As items that impact net income (loss) are out of our control and/or cannot be reasonably predicted, we are unable to provide such guidance. Accordingly, reconciliation to net income (loss) is not available without unreasonable effort. For a reconciliation of historical non-GAAP financial measures to the nearest comparable GAAP measures, see the reconciliation tables included in this press release.
Our reported results also include our total annualized exit monthly recurring subscriptions, RingCentral Office annualized exit monthly recurring subscriptions, and net monthly subscription dollar retention. We define our total annualized exit monthly recurring subscriptions as our total monthly recurring subscriptions multiplied by 12. Our total monthly recurring subscriptions equals the monthly value of all customer subscriptions in effect at the end of a given month. We believe this metric is a leading indicator of our anticipated subscriptions revenue. We calculate our RingCentral Office annualized exit monthly recurring subscriptions in the same manner as we calculate our total annualized exit monthly recurring subscriptions, except that only customer subscriptions from RingCentral Office customers are included when determining monthly recurring subscriptions for the purposes of calculating this key business metric. We define Dollar Net Change as the quotient of (i) the difference of our Monthly Recurring Subscriptions at the end of a period minus our Monthly Recurring Subscriptions at the beginning of a period minus our Monthly Recurring Subscriptions at the end of the period from new customers we added during the period, (ii) all divided by the number of months in the period. We define our Average Monthly Recurring Subscriptions as the average of the Monthly Recurring Subscriptions at the beginning and end of the measurement period.
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS
(Unaudited, in thousands)
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||114,152||$||113,182|
|Accounts receivable, net||11,572||7,651|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||9,521||8,767|
|Total current assets||158,853||159,789|
|Property and equipment, net||26,697||25,527|
|Liabilities and Stockholders’ Equity|
|Current portion of capital lease obligation||377||509|
|Current portion of long-term debt||14,434||16,764|
|Total current liabilities||80,863||76,276|
|Sales tax liability||3,887||3,953|
|Capital lease obligation||450||535|
|Other long-term liabilities||3,660||3,255|
|Additional paid-in capital||281,083||274,844|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||40||(251)|
|Total stockholders’ equity||92,424||96,505|
|Total liabilities and stockholders’ equity||$||188,159||$||188,337|
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS
(Unaudited, in thousands, except per share data)
|Three Months Ended
|Cost of revenues:|
|Total cost of revenues||20,547||17,903|
|Research and development||11,840||9,673|
|Sales and marketing||31,969||23,957|
|General and administrative||10,531||8,967|
|Total operating expenses||54,340||42,597|
|Loss from operations||(9,569)||(12,238)|
|Other income (expense), net||(959)||(638)|
|Loss before provision for income taxes||(10,528)||(12,876)|
|Provision for income taxes||83||28|
|Net loss per common share:|
|Basic and diluted||($||0.15)||($||0.20)|
|Weighted-average number of shares used in computing net loss per share:|
|Basic and diluted||68,764||63,800|
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF CASH FLOWS
(Unaudited, in thousands)
|Three Months Ended
|Cash flows from operating activities:|
|Adjustments to reconcile net loss to net cash used in operating activities:|
|Depreciation and amortization||3,224||2,119|
|Non-cash interest expense related to debt||62||73|
|Net accretion of discount and amortization of premium on available-for-sale securities||95||—|
|Loss on disposal of assets||11||4|
|Deferred income tax||14||1|
|Changes in assets and liabilities|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||(754)||(1,561)|
|Net cash used in operating activities||(687)||(2,463)|
|Cash flows from investing activities:|
|Purchases of property and equipment||(3,298)||(3,509)|
|Proceeds from the maturity of available-for-sale securities||6,780||—|
|Proceeds from restricted investments||100||—|
|Net cash provided by (used in) investing activities||3,582||(3,509)|
|Cash flows from financing activities:|
|Net proceeds from secondary public offering of common stock||—||57,167|
|Repayment of debt||(3,330)||(2,330)|
|Repayment of capital lease obligations||(216)||(113)|
|Payment of offering costs||—||(246)|
|Proceeds from exercise of stock options and common stock warrants||1,482||1,943|
|Net cash provided by (used in) financing activities||(2,064)||56,421|
|Effect of exchange rate changes on cash and cash equivalents||139||(1)|
|Net increase in cash and cash equivalents||970||50,448|
|Cash and cash equivalents:|
|Beginning of period||113,182||116,378|
|End of period||$||114,152||$||166,826|
RECONCILIATION OF GAAP MEASURES TO NON-GAAP MEASURES
(In thousands, except per share data)
|Cost of Revenues reconciliation:|
|GAAP Subscriptions cost of revenues||15,914||13,714|
|Non-GAAP Subscriptions cost of revenues||15,457||13,418|
|GAAP Product cost of revenues||4,633||4,189|
|Gross margin reconciliation:|
|Non-GAAP Gross margin||69.2%||63.5%|
|Operating expenses reconciliation:|
|GAAP Research and development||11,840||9,673|
|Non-GAAP research and development||10,727||9,021|
|As a % of total revenues non-GAAP||16.4%||18.7%|
|GAAP Sales and marketing||31,969||23,957|
|Non-GAAP sales and marketing||30,125||22,997|
|As a % of total revenues non-GAAP||46.1%||47.7%|
|GAAP General and administrative||10,531||8,967|
|Non-GAAP general and administrative||9,198||7,698|
|As a % of total revenues non-GAAP||14.1%||16.0%|
|Loss from operations reconciliation:|
|GAAP loss from operations||(9,569)||(12,238)|
|Non-GAAP loss from Operations||(4,822)||(9,061)|
|Non-GAAP Operating Margin||(7.4%)||(18.8%)|
|Net loss reconciliation:|
|GAAP Net loss||(10,611)||(12,904)|
|Non-GAAP Net loss||$||(5,864)||$||(9,727)|
|Basic and diluted net loss per share|
|Shares used to compute basic and diluted GAAP and Non-GAAP net loss per share||68,764||63,800|
Investor Relations Contact:
Mitesh Dhruv, 650-581-9443
ICR for RingCentral
Greg Kleiner, 650-581-9443
Jennifer Caukin, 650-561-6348
Source: RingCentral, Inc.
For additional information,
Jennifer Dong 650-288-0485