Roles and Permissions
Gain an extra layer of security and oversight whenever you manage users.
Maintaining the permission protocols for your expanding RingCentral user-base doesn't have to be complicated or labor-intensive. Use RingCentral Roles and Permissions to provide role-based control over the functions accessible to your users. Each role includes a set of permissions that defines how much of the RingCentral system a user can access.
Benefits of Roles and Permissions
- When creating users, save time and effort by associating new users with roles from the start.
- With roles, it’s easy manually applying the same permission set over and over to each user as you add them into the system.
- Roles can be created for functions or positions in the company with all the appropriate permissions built in.
- Seven standard, ready-to-use roles make it a cinch to quickly grant the right level of system access to many users at the same time, virtually eliminating the errors that can happen when permissions are set individually.
- Use bulk upload options and templates to conveniently update and assign roles to users across the entire organization.
- Role-based access controls act like an extra layer of security to help you enforce company security policies by giving you complete oversight into which permissions are in use. With roles, the same level of access is unilaterally given to every user assigned to that role, greatly reducing the chances of producing outlier users with unauthorized levels of access.
- Custom roles support countless permission combinations, extending your range of granular control over how users can access RingCentral features. For each role, you can select the precise permissions you want to grant, and update your selections at any time.
- Roles give you the flexibility to respond quickly to business needs. Deleting or adding roles as you need them or modifying existing ones to match new requirements is simple.
- Use admin roles to distribute administrative responsibilities among select users across your team or organization.
- Assign admin roles for specific functions, like billing tasks or phone system setup, while restricting administrator-level changes to other parts of your RingCentral system.
- Custom admin roles, constructed with more granular permissions, can help you easily delegate specialized authority or jurisdiction to other admins.
Roles and Permissions FAQs
There are four admin roles, one manager role, and two user roles. Each role has appropriate permissions already included. The roles are:
- Super Admin: Access to all RingCentral features and apps
- Phone System Admin: Access to phone system and user settings only
- Billing Admin: Access to billing functions and analytics only
- User Admin: Access to user settings only
- Manager: Access to their own user settings and managerial features like reporting and call logs
- Standard (International): Access to their own user settings and international calling
- Standard: Access to their own user settings and domestic calling
- You can create custom roles for every business need, from company-level positions to specialized functions or jurisdictions. For each role, select the permissions you want the role to have, such as access to phone settings but not to additional apps. Keep adding permissions until you reach the limit of features you want the role to access. Now, whenever you have a user who requires the same set of permissions, you can assign that role to the user, without having to select the permissions all over again.
Custom roles are only available with Office Premium and Ultimate editions.
- Access permissions either enable or prevent a user from using a feature or app. When a role doesn’t have permission to access a feature, that feature won’t display for the user, so it’s as if the feature doesn’t even exist. Similarly, when the role doesn’t have permission to access an app, the user is not able to download, log in, or use the app.
More Security features
Secure VoIP service
Data center overview