Today’s workforce is changing drastically. Employees have become extremely tech savvy both personally and professionally. Those organizations that embrace Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies and initiatives are able to tap into the many opportunities today’s technology has to offer. Here are five key ways the BYOD movement is changing today’s workforce:
1. Employee Engagement and Retention. More and more employees are searching to find progressive companies to work for. Those businesses that hope to attract tomorrow’s leaders would be well advised to embrace forward thinking concepts like BYOD. Encouraging your workforce to use their personal devices as a tool rather than prohibiting them will foster creativity, collaboration, and company growth. The types of personal devices that can work for your company include:
2. Collaboration. In the traditional workforce information tends to flow up and down. Information is passed down the chain from the top to the bottom, and suggestions made from the bottom flow toward the top. Offices that embrace BYOD policies encourage a breakaway from this traditional flow of information. Allowing employees to work from almost anywhere on a variety of devices allows collaboration to occur beyond the normal 9-5 office hours. Just a few examples of powerful collaboration tools that can be accessed via personal devices include:
3. Productivity. Allowing employees to bring their own devices to work can significantly increase productivity for several reasons. The first, people tend to be happier and more comfortable using devices familiar to them. In addition, because these devices are taken home after work hours employees tend to spend more than the traditional eight hours on work related projects and tasks. Access to company information and collaboration has also increased through BYOD initiatives. If an employee begins a project in the office on their personal device an assortment of Web 2.0 technologies allows them to continue collaboration remotely. A couple of these solutions are:
4. Increase Customer Satisfaction. With the increased popularity of social networks like Twitter and Facebook customers expect an increased level of customer service. By encouraging employees to use personalized devices while at work the key information needed to appropriately assist customer needs when not in the office becomes accessible and practical. The ability to answer customer calls from a personal cell phone from anywhere at any time is yet another way to ensure customer satisfaction. However, this requires the use of a mobile phone that goes with employees once they leave the office.
5. Competitive Edge. New tools and technology pop up almost daily. Opportunities arise from the abundance of innovation created through Web 2.0 technologies. BYOD is plays a large role in leveraging tools that can launch your business and workforce ahead of the competition. Serious consideration should be given to the adoption of BYOD if your business hopes to remain competitive.
Does your company embrace BYOD? If so tell us how in the comments below. If you’ve yet to implement BYOD what’s holding you back?