In honor of National Entrepreneur Week, today’s Friday Five post is about social media’s capability to help entrepreneurs reach their goals. Social platforms can help build brand awareness, streamline customer service, amplify one’s message, boost sales and manage one’s reputation. Here are five social media tips to help entrepreneurs jump-start and maintain a successful social strategy.
1) Create a Presence on the Right Platform(s): There’s a plethora of social platforms to choose from. However, being on all of them is simply not a viable option. With limited resources, entrepreneurs should select only those platforms that make the most sense. Consider which are designed for the type of content you’ll produce. Here is a short list of social platforms and the type of content they’re designed to optimize:
2) Create a Consistent Voice: Before you start tweeting, posting and blogging, it’s imperative to figure out your voice. Your social media voice should reflect your business, be appealing to your audience and remain consistent over time and across platforms. Here’s a short list of some of the more popular social voices used by entrepreneurs:
3) Always be Authentic: In last week’s Friday Five, I wrote about the importance of authenticity. This is true, in part, because those who conduct themselves authentically online are able to build stronger, more relevant relationships with their communities. As an entrepreneur, you know your business inside and out. That means you’re in a position to relay messages with sincerity – and social media can really help.
4) Listen & Respond: Listening is one of the fundamentals of social media. It allows for deeper conversations and more meaningful engagement. Those who simply shout out brand messages, push products and host endless “giveaways” and “contests” often miss the boat. In order to find true social media success, you must listen and respond accordingly. Those who figure this out are able to build stronger relationships with their online communities and in turn increase affinity.
5) Don’t Give Up: To paraphrase Winston Churchill: never, never, never give up! Social media cannot be mastered in a matter of weeks or even months. You’ll have ups and downs, but no matter how frustrated you may become, keep on keeping on! Social media success is almost always gradual and your efforts will pay off – so long as you continue to participate.
What are some tips you can share with entrepreneurs hoping to leverage social media?