5 Free Mobile Apps Your Savvy Business Should Tap
According to the latest numbers, there are more than 1 million mobile apps available to help make life (and work) a little easier for everyone on the go, especially small business owners. By now, you’re probably familiar with business apps like Dropbox, Evernote and Skype. These big-name mobile apps tend to get most of the media mentions and downloads, which can make it easy for you to miss out on some that could be very handy for your small business.
To help, here are five free mobile apps (with a couple of low-cost upgrades) that could come in handy and make your small business look pretty savvy:
- News Booth: Turn your photos into a TV news story with this mobile app. All you need to do is snap a picture or choose one from your photo library, add your own headline and plug it into one of five news theme templates, such as “breaking news” and “live”. Once your TV news story is ready to air, you can share the image on Facebook and Twitter. For an extra 99 cents, you can also purchase additional news theme packs to share a “developing story” or an “exclusive”. (Free for iPhone. In-app upgrades $0.99. Requires iOS 4.0 or later.)
2. Uber: If you really want to impress some VIP business guests that need a ride, skip the cab and tap this app. Simply set your pickup location for a ride with a private driver in a stylish black car or SUV. Uber’s services are available in many major U.S. cities and several international destinations. The app will charge your credit card, include a tip and email you the receipt. (Free for Android and iPhone. Requires iOS 4.3 or later.)
3. Vidual Social: There are plenty of mobile apps to record video, but only one that lets you brand it. With this app, you can choose an image or company logo from your photo library and add a “watermark” to the corner of your video. Once your video is ready to share, you can also easily send it to CNN iReport, post it on Facebook and YouTube, or send it via email. Watch this video to learn more. For $2.99, you can also upgrade to Vidual HD to record videos in high-definition. (Free for iPhone. HD upgrade $2.99. Requires iOS 4.3 or later.)
4. Expensify: You can easily automate your expense reporting while you’re on-the-road with Expensify. This mobile app lets you log mileage, sync your credit card to track purchases or scan and upload receipts to capture transaction details. You can also email a PDF copy of your expense report to the boss for approval on your reimbursement. (Free for Android and iPhone. Requires iOS 4.3 or later.)
5. CardMunch: With more than 1.8 million business cards scanned to date, you might be familiar with this app created by LinkedIn. But CardMunch is just too cool not to mention. All you need to do is take a photo of a business card and then upload the image – CardMunch will transcribe the details and add them to your contacts. The app also shows LinkedIn profile information, so you can easily connect with your new contact. (Free for iPhone. Requires iOS 4.0 or later.)
What free mobile apps has your small business tapped for work? Tell us in the comments below, and if you haven’t already, download RingCentral’s mobile apps for iPhone or Android. We recently redesigned both apps – they’re faster, more stable and – if you have an Office account on the latest RingCentral platform – provide access to Business SMS!